We've curated every product in our I DO | Nutrition shop based on their nutrigenomic properties and leading manufacturing standards. Nutrigenomics is the study of food and nutrients as one of the most important environmental modifiers of gene expression. A personalised protocol based on your unique DNA, biochemistry and symptoms can help you create optimal wellness and prevent many chronic lifestyle-related diseases. This is called 'personalised scientific wellness'.
SAMe is an amino acid that enhances brain function, improves mood and balances the neurotransmitters serotonin, dopamine and norepinephrine. It also has powerful liver detoxifying and natural anti-inflammatory effects.
Benefits | Features
- Enhances brain function
- Improves mood
- Balances neurotransmitters
- Has powerful liver detoxifying
- Natural anti-inflammatory effects
- Suitable for vegans and vegetarians
Pair with these tests
These DNA and/or biochemistry tests can help you better understand your body so you can start to personalise your nutrition, environment and lifestyle choices and be healthier:
Each tablet contains the following active ingredient:
Hydroxypropyl cellulose, magnesium stearate, silica gel and sodium hydroxymethyl starch
- SAMe (s-adenosyl-methionine) is a naturally occurring molecule that occurs in virtually all tissues and fluids.
- SAMe functions primarily as a methyl donor. A wide variety of molecules accept SAMe’s methyl groups; naturally occurring recipients include proteins, phospholipids, DNA, RNA, hormones, and the energy transporting amino acid creatine.
- Methylation is essential to the development of the phospholipid bilayer that makes up the outer membranes of normal cells and thereby contributes to membrane fluidity.
- SAMe-mediation is also critical for the formation of neurotransmitters in the central nervous system.
- Hepatic transmethylation is also important as 85% of total body transmethylation occurs in the liver.
- After donating its methyl group, SAMe is converted to s-adenosylhomocysteine, which initiates the important transsulfuration pathway in the liver, resulting in the generation of glutathione, the most potent antioxidant in the liver.
- Both folate and vitamin B12 are essential co-nutrients in the metabolism and replenishment of SAMe.
- SAMe may be beneficial in joint regeneration due to analgesic and anti-inflammatory effects.
- Preliminary evidence suggests SAMe might stimulate articular cartilage growth and repair, specifically chondrocyte proteoglycan synthesis and proliferation rate.
- SAMe might also protect against cytokine-induced cell damage.
Take 1 tablet once or twice daily.
Children 7-12 years of age:
Take 1 tablet daily.
- Take on an empty stomach at least 30 minutes before a meal. These doses can be doubled if an adequate benefit is not obtained after two months of use.
Cautions | Warnings | Interactions
Consult your healthcare practitioner before use. Do not exceed recommended dosages unless on the advice of a healthcare provider. If you are on medication, taking nutritional supplements, suffering from any medical condition, pregnant, or breastfeeding, it is advisable to seek medical advice before starting any new food, supplement or remedy. Do not use this product if you are allergic to any of the ingredients. Keep out of the reach of children. This medicine has not been evaluated by the Medicines Control Council. This medicine is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Do not use continually for more than three months without consulting your healthcare practitioner.
- Do not use SAMe with prescription antidepressants such as Monoamine Oxidas e Inhibitors (MAOI’s) or Levodopa or if diagnosed with mania or bipolar disorder, unless under the supervision of a medical practitioner.
- SAMe can aggravate manic episodes in manic or bipolar individuals.
- Surgery: Discontinue SAMe at least two weeks before elective surgery.
- Less frequent side effects include insomnia, headaches, nervousness, gastrointestinal complaints, nausea, dizziness or sweating.
Store in a cool dry place below 25°C. Keep out of reach of children.