Alpha Lipoic Acid
SOLALNappi Code: 885565001
We've curated every product in our I DO | Nutrition shop based on their nutrigenomic properties and leading manufacturing standards. Nutrigenomics is the study of food and nutrients as one of the most important environmental modifiers of gene expression. A personalised protocol based on your unique DNA, biochemistry and symptoms can help you create optimal wellness and prevent many chronic lifestyle-related diseases. This is called 'personalised scientific wellness'.
Alpha Lipoic Acid is both water and fat-soluble, which means it can protect all areas of the body. This makes it one of the most important antioxidants in the fight against free radical damage.
Benefits | Features
- Powerful antioxidant that also regenerates other antioxidants in the body
- Reduces blood sugar levels
- Reduces nerve pain or damage associated with diabetes
- Prevents “cross-linking” of proteins associated with ageing
- Improves skin conditions
- May be used as a chelating agent
- Alpha lipoic acid is about 30% absorbed from dietary or supplemental sources and is a vitamin B-like molecule that is reduced to dihydrolipoic acid (DHLA) in many tissues.
- Alpha lipoic acid and its metabolite DHLA, have antioxidant activity and can scavenge free radicals both intra- and extracellularly.
- Endogenous alpha lipoic acid is a coenzyme that, together with pyrophosphatase, is involved in carbohydrate metabolism, and in the mitochondrial Krebs cycle which produces adenosine triphosphate (ATP).
- It's a modulator of the inflammatory response and may suppress vascular inflammation.
- Alpha-lipoic acid is both water and fat soluble and can regenerate endogenous antioxidants, such as vitamin E, vitamin C, and glutathione and prevent oxidative damage. This makes it one of the most important antioxidants in the fight against free radical damage.
- The latest research suggests that these antioxidant effects might provide protection in cerebral ischemia, mitochondrial dysfunction, muscle ischemia associated with peripheral arterial disease, diabetes, diabetic neuropathy, and other causes of damage to the brain or neural tissue.
- Alpha lipoic acid also helps reduce crosslinking, a type of damage to proteins caused by sugar, which results in accelerated ageing.
- Alpha lipoic acid helps to reduce high blood sugar levels and prevent insulin resistance, thereby also boosting energy levels.
- It's excellent for improving skin conditions.
- Owing to the presence of two thiol groups, DHLA is a chelating agent and has been shown to enhance biliary excretion of inorganic mercury.
- Only the naturally occurring R-enantiomer which occurs naturally is biologically active.
- Packaged in recyclable material
"SOLAL’s Alpha Lipoic Acid contains an effective 3:1 ratio of active R-isomer to inactive S-isomer unlike most other products which have a 1:1 ratio. Alpha lipoic acid (ALA) exists in three forms. The S-ALA form is not only inactive but can also neutralise some of the beneficial effects of the other two forms: R and R-dihydro ALA. This is the only ALA product in South Africa that contains the R-dihydro form and is also the only product that contains no S-ALA. R and R-dihydro ALA are the forms that are immediately available to the cells of the body. 150mg of this ALA provides greater biological activity than a 300mg capsule of regular ALA".
Pair this with these tests
These DNA and/or biochemistry tests can help you better understand your body so you can start to personalise your nutrition, environment and lifestyle choices and be healthier:
Serving Size: 2 Capsules
Servings per Container: 30
Amount per 1 capsule:
|Alpha Lipoic Acid||250mg|
Hypromellose (cellulose) vegetarian capsule shell (gelatin-free), microcrystalline cellulose, magnesium stearate (vegetarian – flow agent), magnesium silicate, silicon dioxide and colloidal silicon dioxide
- Adults and children over 12 years of age: Take 1 capsule twice daily or as recommended by your healthcare provider. Can be taken with or without meals.
- Children under 12 years of age: Take half the adult dose.
Cautions | Warnings | Interactions
Consult your healthcare practitioner before use. Do not exceed recommended dosages unless on the advice of a healthcare provider. If you are on medication, taking nutritional supplements, suffering from any medical condition, pregnant, or breastfeeding, it is advisable to seek medical advice before starting any new food, supplement or remedy. Do not use this product if you are allergic to any of the ingredients. Keep out of the reach of children.
- Do not exceed recommended dosages unless on the advice of a healthcare provider. Do not use this product if you are allergic to any of the ingredients. If you are on any medication or suffering from any medical condition, it is advisable to seek medical advice before starting any new medicine, supplement or remedy.
- Side effects may include nausea, vomiting, dizziness and skin rash. There are no known contraindications.
- Chemotherapy: Theoretically antioxidants might decrease the effectiveness of chemotherapy. Diabetic medication: Alpha lipoic acid may enhance the effect of diabetic medications, therefore use under medical supervision if you take diabetic medication.
- Diabetics: Alpha lipoic acid can decrease blood glucose levels, which may require adjustment of insulin and diabetic drug doses.
- Surgery: Alpha lipoic acid may interfere with glucose levels during surgery and should thus be discontinued at least 2 weeks before elective surgery.
- Thyroid: Alpha lipoic acid may alter thyroid function and patients with thyroid disease should monitor their thyroid levels.
Pregnancy | Breastfeeding
- Safety in pregnancy and breastfeeding has not been established.