Kombucha | Kit
We've curated every product in our I DO | Nutrition shop based on their nutrigenomic properties and leading manufacturing standards. Nutrigenomics is the study of food and nutrients as one of the most important environmental modifiers of gene expression. A personalised protocol based on your unique DNA, biochemistry and symptoms can help you create optimal wellness and prevent many chronic lifestyle-related diseases. This is called 'personalised scientific wellness'.
Everything you need to get started brewing your own kombucha!
Kombucha is a fermented tea that has been brewed and consumed for thousands of years. It is a slightly effervescent elixir made from tea, sugar and living cultures. These active cultures metabolize the sugars and nutrients from tea and the end product is a low sugar, highly nutritious beverage full of organic acids, polyphenols, and probiotics.
It has the same antioxidant benefits as tea plus beneficial gut probiotics. Kombucha can help repopulate your gut with beneficial gut bacteria and help resolve a variety of gut and gut-related issues, as well as a variety of lifestyle-related chronic diseases.
Benefits | Features
- Helps maintain a healthy balance of intestinal flora
- Helps boost population of healthy gut bacteria
- Easy for all ages to drink
- Free from chemical preservatives known to cause DNA mutations, endocrine disruption and cancer
- A proudly South African product
Pair with these tests
To explore you gut health further, check out these gut tests:
- GUT | Comprehensive Stool Analysis
- GUT | Comprehensive Stool Analysis + Parasitology
- GUT | Leaky Gut
- SCOBY (Symbiotic Colony Of Bacteria & Yeast) & Starter
- 400g raw cane sugar (enough for 2 brews)
- 30g custom tea blend (enough for 2 brews)
- Reusable cloth tea bag, cover cloth & elastic band
- Detailed instruction leaflet with pictures
- 3L glass jar to use as a fermentation vessel
SCOBY's, or brewing cultures, are very resilient and will replicate themselves within a few batches so, under most conditions, can be reused virtually forever for endless brewing adventures. After using the sugar and tea in the kit, experiment with your own blends of green, black or herbal tea and different sugars (white, brown, coconut blossom, etc).
Long-term refrigeration (more than 3-4 weeks) of the culture is not ideal as it may inhibit the health of the culture. However, the culture will last ages if you just keep bringing it to room temperature and giving it tea and sugar to 'eat'. It is alive and so needs to feed!
If the culture has been stored cold for a long period, it's advised that you bring it to room temperature for 24-48 hours before brewing (just leave it out on your kitchen counter for a day or 2).
Instructions included in the kit.